We provide a structured programme of activities to inform, inspire and motivate our pupils towards their future careers. We aim to help them understand where different education and training decisions could take them and our provision is guided by the eight benchmarks identified in the Gatsby ‘Good Career Guidance’ report . As detailed in our Pupil, parent and carer entitlement statement for Careers 2018, all of our pupils have access to:
- A stable careers programme delivered through PSHE and through the curriculum from years 7 to 13 that equips them to make effective use of careers information, advice and guidance and to develop career management and employability skills.
- Current career and labour market information via a well-stocked careers library and online resources with support to interpret the information from our Head of Careers and school Careers Officer.
- Advice and support which is tailored to the needs of each pupil and demonstrates a commitment to equality and diversity.
- Teaching staff who are able to link curriculum learning to careers.
- A range of meaningful encounters with employers and employees through a programme of skills workshops including interview and enterprise skills and mock interview practice, work shadowing, visits and events facilitated by inspiring professionals.
- A structured work experience scheme in year 11 that consists of 8 days in the workplace and a work experience conference led by business and industry experts. Some of our students are able to take part in work placements in Germany through our long standing German exchange arrangements.
- Regular encounters with further and higher education. We run higher education and professional careers workshops, a year 12 H.E. Fair, facilitate visits to university open days and take part in a range of higher education led activities such as specialist lectures, competitions and masterclasses.
- Personal guidance – impartial one to one advice and guidance is delivered in years 11 and 12 during the spring term, by professionally qualified careers consultants. Students with special educational needs and disabilities also have access to additional support from a specialist Careers Consultant.
Pupils at Healthcare Science day 2017 at University Hospital Birmingham
Useful careers resources
Options in year 9
General career research
Information on choosing A’ level subjects
Cambridge advice ‘The subject matters’
Russell Group Universities advice on subject choices
Information on degree and higher apprenticeships
Advice and information on university choices
UCAS parents pages
Online employability resources for pupils
Pure Potential – employer led webinars, events and opportunities across various career sectors for years 11 to 13.
Information on student finance
Student Finance England
Which University? Guide to student finance (downloadable resource)
Help to set careers advice in context
What do graduates do? annual survey report of graduate destinations six months after completing a degree.
Want to be part of our careers programme?
We are always looking for volunteers from the world of work to get involved in our careers education and work related curriculum. If you would like to discuss the ways in which you or your organisation could be involved please contact Kay Bevan, Careers Officer at email@example.com for more information.
As of January 2018 schools have a statutory responsibility to publish their policy on access to school for education and training providers. If you would like to come into school to raise awareness of your school, college, training or employment opportunities please read our Provider Access Policy 2018
Work experience 2018 will take place between Tuesday 26 June and Thursday 5 July 2018
Year 11 Work Experience Careers Conference will be on Monday 25 June 8.30 am to 12.35 pm. Sixth Form induction day will be on Friday 6 July (8.45 am to 3.35 pm)
If you are interested to find out more about local sixth forms and colleges then this useful guide from Birmingham Careers Service has details of open days and events for 2018 entry.